The Bridges - Nichols Collection
April 19, 2024, 01:06:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What does " IT. " mean?  (Read 28866 times)
nokikana

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2009, 06:59:40 PM »

Some Toikka birds are signed with an engraved IT or IT. - which is not the II denoting a 2nd class bird. They are fully signed birds - "O. Toikka Nuutajarvi", with IT below and to the right. Some of the birds are "special" items, while others are examples of catalog birds. All are solid glass, except one. All have the iittala " i " over "Made in Finland" type of label, except one which has no label (probably lost).

There are at least two different "hands" signing (engraving) these birds. Below are 6 birds in my collection signed with "IT" or "IT."

Name                                   Label                        Solid / Hollow Special/Catalog

Snow Goose            iittala  "i - Made in Finland" label         Solid         Catalog
   (Lummihanni)
Green Snow Bunting    No label – absent                          Solid         Catalog
   (Vihrea Pulmu)
Red Whip-poor-will     iittala  "i - Made in Finland" label       Solid         Special
   Rautarukki USA
Silver-Grey Penguin   iittala  "i - Made in Finland"  label       Solid         Special
   (Pingvini)
Lilac (Pink) Penguin   iittala  "i - Made in Finland"  label       Solid         Special
   (Pingvini)
Baby Crow               iittala  "i - Made in Finland"  label       Hollow       Catalog?
   (Variksenpoika)

Do you know the meaning of IT?
   Do you have any other birds signed with an "IT" or "IT."?

If so, please reply.
Raakel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 06:52:56 AM »

While years ago some O.Toikka birds (like baby crow) has sold in U.S.A and if somebody else like artist himself has make the signature of item, he/she must make own initial too ( I dont know, is it law or something like that). IT mean INKERI TOIKKA, Oiva Toikka´s wife, who has make the signature and so she must make she own initials all that birds witch has sold in U.S.A. All birds witch has sold in Finland or any other countries are without that IT mark. Information what I have get, baby crow has sold in U.S.A aircrafts and airports by AMEX. I hope you understand what I mean, my english is not good. Smiley Raakel
nokikana

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 12:38:20 PM »

Thank you Rakaal !  That is very helpful.  Smiley  We thought " IT " stood for Inkeri Toikka, but did not understand why she would sign a bird. There are two different styles of writing - two people perhaps? I posted pictures of my birds and the signatures on this web site in my "Album" - see:
http://bn-collection.com/v/user+albums/Nokikana/Signed_IT_/ 
   Hannu asked Oiva about these IT signatures, and he did not remember, or know, about them. But it appears that these birds were for export, and to the USA. That they were sold by airlines and airports, and by AMEX is new information for me.  Thank you!  Now I will try my Finnish -  Shocked

Kiitos Rakaal! Tämä on erittäin hyödyllistä. Smiley Ajattelimme "IT" seisoi Inkeri Toikka, mutta ei ymmärrä, miksi hän allekirjoittaa lintu. On olemassa kaksi eri tyylejä kirjallisesti - kaksi eri ihmistä kenties? I lähetetty kuvia minun lintujen ja allekirjoitukset This web site in my "Album" - katso:
http://bn-collection.com/v/user+albums/Nokikana/Signed_IT_/
   Hannu kysyi Oiva näistä IT allekirjoitukset, ja hän ei muistanut, tai tietää niistä. Mutta näyttää siltä, että nämä linnut olivat vientiä varten, ja Yhdysvaltoihin. Että ne myyvät lentoyhtiöt ja lentoasemat sekä AMEX on uutta tietoa minulle. Kiitos! Nyt yritän minun Suomi -  Shocked
Hannu

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 03:24:49 PM »

Hello!

I have not visited this site for a long time and not noticed this question.

Raakel is right. I did get the knowledge afterwards and mailed it to Bob.

There has been a period when US authorities demanded the initials of the engraver on imported birds, just like Raakel wrote.  I do not know the reason or the time for how long it lasted but it is dated at the time of the Birds of Passage. Whether the way of importing/exporting is essential I do not know.

There may also exist other initials than IT. BTW Inkeri Toikka engraved quite a lot of signatures on birds and other art glass in Nuutajarvi, I mean in a "normal way".

Happy springtime to all Toikka bird-lovers!
pappadalton

Martti Perkiö

martti.perkio@gmail.com pappadalton
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 12:19:51 PM »

Hello! I am a new member of the Community. Question what the II means. My answer is 2-quality (quality second). Sorry about the poor English.

pappadalton

Martti
nokikana

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 09:02:54 AM »

Since first posting this question, I have acquired two additional birds signed "IT". These are:

Green Whip-poor-will / Pajusotka  - Birds of Passage
   Bald Coot / Nokikana  - Birds of Passage

They were acquired from sources in the USA, consistent with being export birds.

All examples are posted on my "User Album" - Nokikana.

Best regards to all
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: